“What man actually needs is not a tensionless state, but rather the striving and struggling for some goal worthy of him. What he needs is not the discharge of tension at any cost, but the call of a potential meaning waiting to be fulfilled by him. ~ Victor E. Frankl”
It can be easy to run through the maze of life without pausing to think of its meaning. But feeling that what you’re doing has a ‘real purpose and meaning’ can make a huge difference to your life. It is not enough that we live. We must live a meaningful life so that we don’t have to regret anything at the end of life. This means every decision we take can bring us one step closer to our goals.
Wealth, fame, and position do not guarantee a fulfilled life. You need something more. Here are some of the tips that can help you make your life more meaningful.
1) Know what’s important for you – You’re not an accident. Everyone has a purpose in their life. You just need to find yours. Make a list of five things that you believe are the essence of how you want to live life. These five things can be anything, such as “spending more time with family,” “exercising at least four times in a week,” “singing every day,” or any other hobby. It could also include more complex ideas, like “honesty” and “simplicity.”
2) Set your goals – Goals – big or small can be the stepping-stones to a happier life. The journey towards your goals may not be easy, but having goals is part of what makes life good. It gives direction to your life. So start setting short-term meaningful goals such as reading a book in a month, exercising at least four times a week, start a blog, and more.
3) Find good books that can help you explore – Books are incredibly influential. They have the power to suck us in, take us on adventures, and influence the way we think. They can teach you, give you new perspectives in your life, and help shape you. And the most powerful ones can change your lives forever. Make a habit to read some good motivational and inspirational books to widen your ideas.
4) Bond with your family – You’re an adult and have a separate life, but make sure to maintain a strong bond with your family and friends. Always take out some time to visit or at least call them. No matter how busy you are, make time for your parents. You can take them out to a spa or dinner date once in a while. You can also plan a surprise for your parents’ altogether. Plan a holiday trip with them, or you can go on a movie date. Focusing on your relationships will give a deeper meaning to your life.
5) Choose a job you love – Look for a job that is aligned with your passion. Your job is your bread and butter so if you don’t get a job that you love then it will be difficult to love your job. Be grateful for it. Don’t go to the office to earn money. Do your job as a way of serving, not only your boss but your company’s clients too. Stop complaining and look at the positive side of your position.
Following these tips may seem daunting, but you can try one thing at a time and slowly incorporate these tips into your life. Remember, life is about the journey, not the destination. And living a life of purpose gives both fulfillment and meaning to your journey.